Seasonal Eye Allergies in the Bay Area
It seems like the beautiful green hills, trees and flowers in the San Francisco East Bay Tri-Valley Area have a downside. It seems like everywhere you turn, people are sniffling, itching and puffy. It is the pollens that are the likely offenders.
What Causes Eye Allergies?
When the body comes in contact with something it is allergic to, it releases histamines into the blood. These histamines cause the uncomfortable symptoms of hives, puffy/itchy eyes, increase in mucous, and even itching or swelling of the tongue and throat. The blood vessels around the eyelids are very close to the surface of the skin. You may even see “Allergic Shiners” which look like black eyes.
There are many possible treatments for eye allergies
- Eye drops:There are both over the counter and prescription allergy drops that help with itchy, burning, red, puffy and mucous symptoms that caused by allergies.
- Oral:The over-the- counter oral medicines also have a place in treating eye allergies. Some options include, Clartin, Zyrtec, Benadryl, Allegra and Xyzal
- Allergy shots: May be used if the patient has chronic allergies and they are seeing an allergist. The shots contain a very small amount of their allergen and are used to desensitize the patient and make them less allergic to the offending agent.
- Cold compresses are great to quickly help with itching and swelling.
- Some people use local honey oral daily to try to take a little pollen in orally to help their system become more used to the pollens before allergy season hits.
- It is also a good idea to shower and wash your hair after being outside if you are sensitive to pollens.
Seasonal Allergies Giving You Eye Trouble?
Each patient requires individualized care and examination. Especially living in the Bay Area, we learn how to cope with seasonal allergies annually. Feel free to call our Vision Dynamics Optometric Center doctors if you have any concerns with your symptoms, or call us at (925)838-3021 to schedule an eye exam.
About Vision Dynamics:
Vision Dynamics Optometry and Eyewear located in Danville Livery Shopping Center, we are committed to excellence in servicing your complete eye care needs. We know how much your eye health and appearance can mean to the quality of your life, we carry one of the finest collections of eyewear in the Danville area, and our talented eyewear stylists are ready to help you find the perfect frame with your budget in mind.
Vision Dynamics is a full-service optometry practice, our services include: Comprehensive Eye Exams, Contact Lens, Kid Exams, Full Optical Services, Custom Lens Design, Eyewear Repair, Glaucoma Checks, Treatment of Allergic, Bacterial, Viral Conjunctivitis, red eyes and more.
Our optical carries a broad selection of the latest technology and designer eyewear frames. In addition to eyewear frames, Tri-Valley customers can also purchase our high-end contract lenses directly in store or online. Vision Dynamics Danville has an in-house optometry lab and on-site optometrists that enable us to process prescription orders with convenient turnaround times.
The content in this blog article is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate or intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding any medical conditions.